With 25-tons of force, there are not many things the Southland Outdoor Power Equipment SLS20825 25-Ton Gas-powered Log Splitter cannot handle. Since it is a gas-powered log splitter, it offers much more force and power than the electric options on the market.
Since the Southland SLS20825 can be used in either the horizontal or the vertical position, the power is put to its best use. You can make the most of the tonnage by using the splitter in the vertical position.
If you have large amounts of bigger logs to split, the Southland SLS20825 is a great option. Gas-powered splitters have a reputation for being powerful and this one is no exception.
In addition to the added power of the Southland SLS20825 log splitter, it also has some great bonus features. Since gas-powered log splitters tend to be on the expensive side of the spectrum, a few added perks are a welcome surprise.
Along with the standard benefits of a gas-powered log splitter, this one does go above and beyond in several respects. Some of its features include:
- Internal oil system lubricates the internal engine bearings to reduce heat build-up
- Cycle time of seventeen seconds
- Automatically returning ram
- Can be used in both horizontal and vertical positions
- Comes with an included trailer hitch for portability
- Can split logs up to 26 inches long
- It can basically split any piece of hardwood or softwood you throw at it
- The vertical position allows you to roll large pieces of wood under the machine rather than lifting them
- The engine runs relatively quietly and start easily
- It is simple to attach to a trailer hitch for moving
- It can split wet and freshly cut wood without a problem
- Two people are absolutely needed to assemble the machine, especially when it comes to the central beam
- For older or less able bodied operators, switching from the horizontal to the vertical position can be difficult and need two people
- It is only portable with a tractor or trailer hitch because of the weight
- It could use a log catcher so that the cut logs do not just fall to the ground
Overall, the Southland SLS20825 log splitter has few fatal flaws. In fact, none of the drawbacks will hinder the use of the machine in the slightest.
While the weight can be a problem for less able bodied operators, it is also what makes the machine durable and heavy duty. You will, however, need two people to assemble and, in some cases, switch between horizontal and vertical.
The vertical position will save some manpower since a large log can be rolled underneath and split right there rather than being lifted. The horizontal position, however, does lack a log catcher, so there is the added work of collecting the split logs.
Despite its heavy weight and therefore decreased portability, the Southland SLS20825 is a major workhorse of a splitter. It can handle basically any piece of wood thrown at it with ease, whether that piece is hard, soft, seasoned, or green.
Comparisons and Possible Alternatives
Although it is hard to beat the sheer power and durability of the Southland SLS20825 log splitter, there are some notable alternatives. Keep in mind what you are looking for in a log splitter to make the decision more painless and simple.
The first alternative is the Dirty Hand Tools 100171 22-Ton Horizontal/Vertical Gas Log Splitter. It has a similar tonnage to the Southland, but offers some slightly different advantages and disadvantages.
One significant benefit to this log splitter is its cycle time. While the Southland SLS20825 comes in at a respectable seventeen seconds, the Dirty Hand Tools 100171 comes in at 10.9 seconds. Some of the smaller pieces, however, do not hold up to the speed and force.
Another good alternative is the NorthStar Horizontal Vertical 37-Ton Log Splitter. It does outdo both the other options in tonnage capacity, but it has its own drawbacks as well.
If you do need that added tonnage, the NorthStar is a good option. It does, however, leave something to be desired on the log size capability. Despite its force, it can only handle logs the same size as the Southland SLS20825.
If you are looking for a higher tonnage log splitter, you cannot go wrong with the Southland Outdoor Power Equipment SLS20825 25-Ton Gas-powered Log Splitter. With the two vertical/horizontal orientations, you can make the most out of that tonnage.
The weight can be a stumbling block for less able bodied people. The Southland SLS20825, however, is simple to use and portable with a trailer hitch. In the long run, it will save you manpower, especially when used in the vertical position.
All-in-all, the Southland SLS20825 is a great heavy duty option for your log splitting needs. It can handle any job thrown at it, making it a great gas-powered option.